Creating a instance for another user...

From: HARI OM <hari_om_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 22 Feb 2005 13:49:07 -0800

I am using Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 on IBM AIX 5.1L

I have Oracle installed on /usr/local/oracle with Username:Group as oraown:oracle

Now, I have one more AIX user named "tiger" who would like to use this DB. So, when I create a new instance for this user ("tiger") do I create it using User ORAOWN or Uer TIGER? The reason I am asking is becos Tiger might NOT have access to DBF/LOG Files as does Oracle User.

Example: ALL my DB data is stored under /u01/data/ with user:group as oraown:oracle which means Tiger does not have access to this directory and so does the directory to execute SQLPLPUS... So, what is the best solution in these circumstances...

I was thinking of having user "Tiger" belong to Group "oracle" and then have Directory permissions as "drwxrwxr-x" for Directories (/u01/data, /u02/redo1, /u03/redo3, /usr/local/oracle etc...) and have the instance created using DBCA as user "oraown"
So, is this the best solution ... Can there be any security flwas in having these permissions...

Or is there any better solution...

THANKS! HARI OM Received on Tue Feb 22 2005 - 15:49:07 CST