Stripe and Mirror Everything (SAME) on solaris SVM ?

From: G Dahler <gd-nntp_at_spamex.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 12:27:34 -0500

For security reason, I'm currently running my 8.1.7.4 database instances on many solaris disksuite 4.2 mirrors under solaris 2.6. We're moving to solaris 9 soon, but we don't have the money for an hardware raid box or a new server, so I guess we'll have to stick with software RAID for the moment. This is an old sun UE 450 with old Fast Wide SCSI II internal disks.

Instead of using 8 2-disks mirrors, I'm planning to create a BIG mirror, consisting of two 8-disks striped volumes. And put all the datafiles on it. I will keep 2 "plain" disks on separate controllers to duplex my online redo on.

Is this a waste of time or can I expect better performance than my current setup ? Of course I could try this but it's a lot of work and I don't have a spare server.

Also, it seems like solaris 9 is a lot better performing than 2.6 with regard to it's file system. Is this true ?

Thanks

P.S.: Please don't tell me to get a better server, a better disk subsystem, etc... we're trying NOT to close the shop here, so we do NOT have money and have to do our best with what we've got. Received on Wed Feb 09 2005 - 11:27:34 CST