Re: Stripe and Mirror Everything (SAME) on solaris SVM ?

From: Ronald Rood <devnull_at_ronr.nl>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 21:48:05 +0100

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 18:27:34 +0100, G Dahler wrote (in article <aKrOd.3736$504.565927_at_news20.bellglobal.com>):

> Instead of using 8 2-disks mirrors, I'm planning to create a BIG mirror,
> consisting of two 8-disks striped volumes. And put all the datafiles on it.
> I will keep 2 "plain" disks on separate controllers to duplex my online redo
> on.
>
> P.S.: Please don't tell me to get a better server, a better disk subsystem,
> etc... we're trying NOT to close the shop here, so we do NOT have money and
> have to do our best with what we've got.

Why don't you upgrade to 10g and use ASM for storage ? Doing so enables oracle to make the most out of the disk system. More flexible than raw devices with good performance and redundancy.

With kind regards / met vriendelijke groeten, Ronald

http://ronr.nl/unix-dba
http://homepage.mac.com/ik_zelf/oracle Received on Wed Feb 09 2005 - 14:48:05 CST