Re: DB2 Crushes Oracle RAC on TPC-C benchmark

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 2 Feb 2005 04:02:50 -0800

Serge Rielau wrote:
> That's interesting. Mark T. Can you confirm that with an ELA RAC is
> "free"? Doesn't match what I heard, but I hav eonly hear-say.

My 'evidence' is also obviously only hear-say. All I'd say is that at that end of the market I rather suspect list prices and standard volume discounts are just the start of the negotiation. I'd be amazed if the same didn't apply to all of the vendors.

> Niall, do you specifically mean 4CPU or simply small results. If you
> sort by price performance you wil find that vendors do work that end
as
> well:

http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpcc_price_perf_results.asp?resulttype=all

Thanks for pointing me at this.
http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpccadvanced3.asp was even more helpful.

> Pricing is an interesting game. Some vendors use licencing that is
best
> compared to a three year rent (meaning after the time is up you end
up
> with nothing). Others charge support per call and assume 1 single
phone
> call.. Now that's low TCO :-)

LOL Niall Received on Wed Feb 02 2005 - 06:02:50 CST