Re: DB2 Crushes Oracle RAC on TPC-C benchmark

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 2 Feb 2005 04:35:32 -0800

DA Morgan wrote:
> Maybe I'm showing my innocence here but if Mark gives away RAC
licenses
> for free it costs Oracle one piece of 8 1/2 x 11 paper. I think of
> hardware as being different.

One of the big ways in which RAC has been sold is that you can save big bucks by throwing out all that expensive hardware. Now if RAC is free or nearly so then that would be fair enough, but last time I looked the list price of RAC was $20k per processor. So instead of buying an 8 way Unix box (say the sun v880 at 86k list for 8 processors and 16gb RAM) you buy 2 4 way dell boxes with linux on them (I've used 2 4 way power edge 7250s with 8gb ram each) for 47k and save 40k on hardware. Great. You've also added 256k including the standard discount from store.oracle.com to the system price. So that is paying 200k more for a more complex and less widely adopted system.

Incidentally even without RAC the software was the significant cost of the system anyway.

Niall Received on Wed Feb 02 2005 - 06:35:32 CST