Re: DB2 Crushes Oracle RAC on TPC-C benchmark

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:44:56 -0500

DA Morgan wrote:

> Niall Litchfield wrote:
>

>> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>>
>>> A $13.8 million dollar discount? I don't know how they can walk down the
>>> street without stopping in every confessional.
>>

>> I know of an Oracle customer that has publicly referred to the
>> goodness of RAC, in particular it enables them to roll out databases
>> quickly and on commodity hardware to their internal client base. It
>> saved them seven figure sums in hardware very quickly. Naturally they
>> have an all encompassing site licence and so did not pay anything
>> extra at all for RAC :). PR cuts both ways (hence I suspect Mark's
>> facetious comments).
>>
>> In passingm but the vendors don't actually care so in vain, I'd really
>> love to see TPCC on 4 processor intel servers with no more than say 10
>> SCSI disks and 8gb ram from IBM,DB2 and Oracle.
>

> Maybe I'm showing my innocence here but if Mark gives away RAC licenses
> for free it costs Oracle one piece of 8 1/2 x 11 paper. I think of
> hardware as being different.

That's interesting. Mark T. Can you confirm that with an ELA RAC is "free"? Doesn't match what I heard, but I hav eonly hear-say.

Niall, do you specifically mean 4CPU or simply small results. If you sort by price performance you wil find that vendors do work that end as well:
http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpcc_price_perf_results.asp?resulttype=all

Pricing is an interesting game. Some vendors use licencing that is best compared to a three year rent (meaning after the time is up you end up with nothing). Others charge support per call and assume 1 single phone call.. Now that's low TCO :-)

The rule says that you have to be able to actually get what's in the result. Whether that is what you want is a different issue. Point being that you can call the vendor, quote the product and get the price they quote.

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau