Re: Manually starting services in Windows XP

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 25 Jan 2005 01:56:35 -0800

Holger Baer wrote:
> Rauf Sarwar wrote:
> > DA Morgan wrote:

> > first,

> >>Correct. The database will automatically register with the listener
> >>if the listener is already started.
> >>

> > This is correct if you are on 8i (8.1.x) and above. This is because
you
> > don't have to have a static entry in the listener.ora file as,
> > sid_desc =
> > sid_name = ....
> > which means it doesn't matter when the listener is started, before
or
> > afterwards, it will register all running instances. In pre 8.1.x
> > releases, you had to have a static entry in the listener.ora file.
> > have LOC920 database and LISTENER92 listener,
> >

> But if you are, for what reason ever (Enterprise Manager springs to
mind ;-) )
> using Intelligent Agent then you're back to boring old listener.ora
because
> that's where IA gets its information about available databases from.
>
> On the other hand, this was not what this thread was about, so please
regard
> this just as what it is: just a little information which might or
might not
> important to anyone wading through this.

I think a redirect to http://tahiti.oracle.com and search for Listener configuration would also be helpfull for anyone looking thru this thread. Docs lists clearly when a static entry is required in listener.ora file.
Thanks for adding that bit about OEM.

Regards
/Rauf Received on Tue Jan 25 2005 - 03:56:35 CST