Re: Manually starting services in Windows XP

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 08:49:01 +0100

Rauf Sarwar wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:
>

>>Jining Han wrote:
>>

>>>If I remember correctly, Oracle instructs to start the listeners

> first,
>
>>>then database
>>>
>>>Jining Han
>>
>>Correct. The database will automatically register with the listener
>>if the listener is already started.
>>

> This is correct if you are on 8i (8.1.x) and above. This is because you
> don't have to have a static entry in the listener.ora file as,
> sid_desc =
> sid_name = ....
> which means it doesn't matter when the listener is started, before or
> afterwards, it will register all running instances. In pre 8.1.x
> releases, you had to have a static entry in the listener.ora file. I
> have LOC920 database and LISTENER92 listener,

But if you are, for what reason ever (Enterprise Manager springs to mind ;-) ) using Intelligent Agent then you're back to boring old listener.ora because that's where IA gets its information about available databases from.

On the other hand, this was not what this thread was about, so please regard this just as what it is: just a little information which might or might not important to anyone wading through this.

Regards
Holger Received on Tue Jan 25 2005 - 01:49:01 CST