Re: Manually starting services in Windows XP

From: <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 25 Jan 2005 21:22:26 -0800

Rauf,

this is not intended at you specifically, but can we please (in general) just disable the external procedure listener if its not being used?

this practice only continues to propagate bad examples of insecure installations/configurations.

why the doesn't oracle set functionality like this off by default?
(10g R2 request, perhaps?)

It was a HUGE improvement when they started locking out accounts in 9i
(did not in 8i) in databases created by dbca.

IIRC, external procedure listeners had large vulnerabilities back in Security Alert #29, 57.

we can't just make the same mistakes, or leave the same holes open, over and over again.

there are numerous papers out on the net and in metalink describing methods to leverage this functionality in a less insecure configuration.

at least run the extproc as a stand-alone listener with reduced privileges, not on the same listener as your database instances. -bdbafh Received on Tue Jan 25 2005 - 23:22:26 CST