Re: Index compression vs. table compression

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 06:10:08 +1100

Tony Andrews wrote:
> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>

>>Tom: I didn't refer to a lookup table. I referred to a single key
>>lookup. Lookup as a verb, not a noun. And by it, I meant "looking up
>>some data in a table, searching for a single key value". Which is

> Sorry, but this is what you actually said in your post that started
> this whole argument back in Dec 30 2004, 3:40 pm:
>
> "But there is then a further problem: how is the optimiser likely to
> read small, useful, lookup tables?.. er, via a FTS, probably, if they
> are genuinely small."
>
> YOU said "lookup tables".

In a part of the thread that Tom did *not* quote, and to a completely different person from the part of the thread which he *did* quote!!

I might add at this point that Rick had been pretty clueless in the thread up to that point,but obstinate; and Jonathan is neither of those things. So there is a pretty big mental gear shift when switching from addressing one to the other. It's therefore a bad idea to use something I said to one to impart meaning to something I said to the other. Two completely different audiences, if you'd like to think of it that way.

So, let's not get into the game of what I said or didn't say. What I said is there on record in any case, and I *know* what I said to Jonathan. And the phrase Tom has picked up on does NOT include the words 'lookup table' -because at that point in the thread, that was not what was being talked about (not, at least, as far as I was concerned).

> I'll add myself to the list of "voters" who associate the term "lookup
> table" with a table that is accessed by primary key to return a single
> row,

Of course that's what a lookup table is!!! We don't need a vote on it. Common sense tells you that's what a lookup table is. But that is not what I was referring to *in the sentence and conversation which Tom actually quoted*.

> and add that your other term "single key lookup", even if perhaps
> you coined it yourself with your own intended meaning, certainly brings
> to my mind a "lookup from a lookup table via a single key value, which
> will return at most one row".

Well, as I said to Tom, if that's the meaning the term conjures up in your mind, then it is perhaps just as well that he gave me a chance to clarify things. Because what's in your mind is not a logical inference from what I actually said, and is not what I meant. Just read the *actual* words I used, at the time I used them, and inappropriate things will hopefully stop being brought to your mind.

Regards
HJR Received on Sun Jan 23 2005 - 13:10:08 CST