Re: Newbie needs help. Studying for OCA.

From: Alex Reid <none_at_anonymous.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:27:04 -0600

Frank van Bortel wrote:

> Alex Reid wrote:
>

>> I have successfully installed Oracle 10g enterprise edition on my home
>> pc for educational purposes.
>>
>> Whenever I attempt to open the EM database control via Mozilla
>> Firefox, I get this error message:
>>
>> "The connection was refused when attempting to contact 192.168.2.1:5500"
>>
>> This leads me to believe one of two possibilities:
>> 1. I do not have an instance started
>> 2. I do not have an active listener
>>
>> My OS is Win XP Pro. I have verified that the following services are
>> started:
>>
>> OracleCSService
>> OracleOraDb10g_home2SNMPPeerEncapsulator
>> OracleOraDb10g_home2SNMPPeerMasterAgent
>>
>> This service however, will not start:
>> OracleOraDb10g_home1TNSListener
>>
>> If I try to start it, I get the following error message:
>>
>> "The OracleOraDb10g_home1TNSListener service started & then stopped.
>> Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do..."
>>
>> Shouldn't this service be running all the time so that it can listen
>> for connection requests? Please help the newbie!
>>
> Yes, it should.
> OEM uses a different communications mechanism, though, so that
> should not be the source of your problem. It *is* worrying, I'd say.
> You should have a HTTP listener, listening on port 5500.
> What does netstat say?

Following is the result of netstat -a
Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State
TCP    computer:epmap         computer:0             LISTENING
TCP    computer:199           computer:0             LISTENING
TCP    computer:microsoft-ds  computer:0             LISTENING
TCP    computer:1178          computer:0             LISTENING
TCP    computer:1179          computer:0             LISTENING
TCP    computer:1025          computer:0             LISTENING
TCP    computer:1175          localhost:1176         ESTABLISHED
TCP    computer:1176          localhost:1175         ESTABLISHED
TCP    computer:61100         computer:0             LISTENING
TCP    computer:199           192.168.2.1:1182       ESTABLISHED
TCP    computer:1182          192.168.2.1:199        ESTABLISHED
TCP    computer:1177          news1.mts.net:nntp     ESTABLISHED
UDP    computer:snmp          *:*
UDP    computer:microsoft-ds  *:*
UDP    computer:1029          *:*
UDP    computer:1056          *:*
UDP    computer:ntp           *:*
UDP    computer:ntp           *:*
UDP    computer:1180          *:*
UDP    computer:ntp           *:*

It doesn't look like anything is listening on port 5500. Although it does look like a couple of the Oracle services are established on ports 199 & 1182.

I took a look in my service control panel & found a service for http ssl, but no plain http service.

Question: am I supposed to be running IIS right now? Is that where the http service comes from? or is it installed by the OUI?

I took a look in the OUI last night, but I could not seem to find it. If you know where it is & could describe the installation procedure to me, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help so far! Received on Thu Jan 20 2005 - 11:27:04 CST