Re: Newbie needs help. Studying for OCA.

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:38:47 +0100

Alex Reid wrote:
> Frank van Bortel wrote:
>

>> Alex Reid wrote:
>>
>>> I have successfully installed Oracle 10g enterprise edition on my
>>> home pc for educational purposes.
>>>
>>> Whenever I attempt to open the EM database control via Mozilla
>>> Firefox, I get this error message:
>>>
>>> "The connection was refused when attempting to contact 192.168.2.1:5500"
>>>
>>> This leads me to believe one of two possibilities:
>>> 1. I do not have an instance started
>>> 2. I do not have an active listener
>>>
>>> My OS is Win XP Pro. I have verified that the following services are
>>> started:
>>>
>>> OracleCSService
>>> OracleOraDb10g_home2SNMPPeerEncapsulator
>>> OracleOraDb10g_home2SNMPPeerMasterAgent
>>>
>>> This service however, will not start:
>>> OracleOraDb10g_home1TNSListener
>>>
>>> If I try to start it, I get the following error message:
>>>
>>> "The OracleOraDb10g_home1TNSListener service started & then stopped.
>>> Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do..."
>>>
>>> Shouldn't this service be running all the time so that it can listen
>>> for connection requests? Please help the newbie!
>>>
>> Yes, it should.
>> OEM uses a different communications mechanism, though, so that
>> should not be the source of your problem. It *is* worrying, I'd say.
>> You should have a HTTP listener, listening on port 5500.
>> What does netstat say?
>>

> Following is the result of netstat -a
>
> Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
> TCP computer:epmap computer:0 LISTENING
> TCP computer:199 computer:0 LISTENING
> TCP computer:microsoft-ds computer:0 LISTENING
> TCP computer:1178 computer:0 LISTENING
> TCP computer:1179 computer:0 LISTENING
> TCP computer:1025 computer:0 LISTENING
> TCP computer:1175 localhost:1176 ESTABLISHED
> TCP computer:1176 localhost:1175 ESTABLISHED
> TCP computer:61100 computer:0 LISTENING
> TCP computer:199 192.168.2.1:1182 ESTABLISHED
> TCP computer:1182 192.168.2.1:199 ESTABLISHED
> TCP computer:1177 news1.mts.net:nntp ESTABLISHED
> UDP computer:snmp *:*
> UDP computer:microsoft-ds *:*
> UDP computer:1029 *:*
> UDP computer:1056 *:*
> UDP computer:ntp *:*
> UDP computer:ntp *:*
> UDP computer:1180 *:*
> UDP computer:ntp *:*
>
> It doesn't look like anything is listening on port 5500. Although it
> does look like a couple of the Oracle services are established on ports
> 199 & 1182.

Not sure these are Oracle; it is not a listener, but a connected process (one entry is the client->server, the other the server->client). Same for 1175/1176.

> I took a look in my service control panel & found a service for http
> ssl, but no plain http service.

And? What's it called? something with Oracle in it? Or did you misread the 'S': OracleOracleHome92HTTPServer only has HTTP, the S is for server, not HTTPS...
If called something like the above (substitute OracleHome92 for your own Oracle home name), start it!

> Question: am I supposed to be running IIS right now? Is that where the
> http service comes from? or is it installed by the OUI?

No - the above mentioned service should take care of it. It's based on Apache and was indeed installed by the oui.

> I took a look in the OUI last night, but I could not seem to find it. If
> you know where it is & could describe the installation procedure to me,
> that would be greatly appreciated.

That doesn't seem to be necessary.... It can be seen, though, when you opt for the manual installation.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel