Re: jdbc performance in Solaris

From: Joe Weinstein <joeNOSPAM_at_bea.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:43:32 -0800

Joe Smith wrote:

>>>    If the DBMS is not the same, is it remote in both cases, or local to
>>
>>the
>>
>>>client machine in both cases?

> No, the DBMS is not the same. They are both local.
> For Windows, it's a 9.0.1.1.1 (just a test system!!)
> For Oracle, it's a 9.2.0.1, 64 bit version.
>
> See my previous mail for more information.
>
> Thanks

Ok. And I'll guess that the Solaris machine is a single-CPU box? Typically DBMSes are designed to do heavy lifting, and to the extent that they can, they tend to hold onto the CPU for a bit even when there's nothing to do, in case something comes in. In a situation with a single client and DBMS sharing a CPU, the switchover can take longer than the work.

    I suggest also testing with the client on a different machine than the DBMS, if only to rule in/out this issue. If your client will definitely be running locally to the DBMS, I highly recommend using JDBC batches to do more than one update at a time. If you give the DBMS lots to do with each client-DBMS packet it will drop the overhead that is probably causing the delay.

Let me know if this helps,
Joe Weinstein at BEA Received on Thu Jan 20 2005 - 11:43:32 CST