Re: Two databases on a win2000 server

From: Chuck <skilover_nospam_at_softhome.net>
Date: 20 Jan 2005 14:54:55 GMT

jw <jw_at_hotmail.com> wrote in

> we have an oracle database using version 9.2 on window 2000. The
> database is running in Archive log mode. The main database operation
> will produce about 5G archive log files.
>
> On the same database, we added another tablespaces REPORT for tables
> and indexes that hold the extracted and calculated data from the
> primary tables. These tables are mainly for producing statistics
> reports.
>
> I noticed that when I re-populate these tables from scratch, I created
> 100G plus of redo log files, though these tables are only about 10G in
> size. As I didn't realize this, it suddenly affected the database as
> I was running out disk space. I didn't expect 100G+ redo log files in
> several hours. I have already set nologging on the REPORT tablespace,
> but it didn't help. As the re-populate are mainly insert and update
> statements.

You can either do as Sybrand suggested and look into materialized views, or build your reporting tables with CTAS (Create table as select) and use the NOLOGGING option. Of course if you do this, your REPORT tablespace will not be recoverable, but since the data can be rebuilt from the primary tables do you really care? Received on Thu Jan 20 2005 - 08:54:55 CST