Two databases on a win2000 server

From: jw <jw_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 04:51:00 GMT

we have an oracle database using version 9.2 on window 2000. The database is running in Archive log mode. The main database operation will produce about 5G archive log files.

On the same database, we added another tablespaces REPORT for tables and indexes that hold the extracted and calculated data from the primary tables. These tables are mainly for producing statistics reports.

I noticed that when I re-populate these tables from scratch, I created 100G plus of redo log files, though these tables are only about 10G in size. As I didn't realize this, it suddenly affected the database as I was running out disk space. I didn't expect 100G+ redo log files in several hours. I have already set nologging on the REPORT tablespace, but it didn't help. As the re-populate are mainly insert and update statements.

What can I do to avoid this from happening ?

I am planning to setup another database on the same server to hold the REPORT tablespace. And this new database will be in Noarchive Log mode, as I can re-create them by running the re-populate scripts.

My question is can the single window 2000 server house two database at the same time ? Will I see any impact on my main database ? Any issues I may encounter in the future ?

Any other suggestion ?

Thanks.

JW.    Received on Wed Jan 19 2005 - 22:51:00 CST