Re: Two databases on a win2000 server

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.verwijderdit.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:08:39 +0100

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 04:51:00 GMT, jw <jw_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>we have an oracle database using version 9.2 on window 2000. The
>database is running in Archive log mode. The main database operation
>will produce about 5G archive log files.
>
>On the same database, we added another tablespaces REPORT for tables and
>indexes that hold the extracted and calculated data from the primary
>tables. These tables are mainly for producing statistics reports.
>
>I noticed that when I re-populate these tables from scratch, I created
>100G plus of redo log files, though these tables are only about 10G in
>size. As I didn't realize this, it suddenly affected the database as I
>was running out disk space. I didn't expect 100G+ redo log files in
>several hours. I have already set nologging on the REPORT tablespace,
>but it didn't help. As the re-populate are mainly insert and update
>statements.
>
>What can I do to avoid this from happening ?

basically nothing, or it will impact the complete database.

or, better, look into materialized views.

>I am planning to setup another database on the same server to hold the
>REPORT tablespace. And this new database will be in Noarchive Log mode,
>as I can re-create them by running the re-populate scripts.
>
>My question is can the single window 2000 server house two database at
>the same time ?

yes. whether it's desirable is another question  Will I see any impact on my main database ?

Of course. Both database will share the same set of resources.  Any issues
>I may encounter in the future ?

Other than the usual issues and limitations with winblows, none. Note however, you have to pay for win2k service packs after June 30.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA