Re: Scripting language for DBAs - Perl or Python?

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 17 Jan 2005 09:22:03 -0800

Everyone has their own preferences is the first answer. If you want any credibility as a dba then you need to become familiar with unix shell scripting usually korn shell or bash. My advice -- don't even think about perl or python until you are fairly good in a unix shell environment.

Java would be my next recommendation instead of either perl or other alternatives. Anything you need done, java can do it -- on multiple platforms.

But again, everyone will have their own preferences. Received on Mon Jan 17 2005 - 11:22:03 CST