Re: jdbc performance in Solaris

From: <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 17 Jan 2005 08:57:49 -0800

Hi, Joe,

Any progress? Over the weekend I did some reading about the Solaris thread model. When Solaris 8 came out, it was a frequently asked question why there was a new libthread under /usr/lib/lwp. Sun employees consistently promoted the new library. Casper Dik
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.unix.solaris/msg/6906a00ee058df08)
even implied that
it would be a surprise if the old M:N thread model /usr/lib/libthread.so would outperform the new 1:1 model /usr/lib/lwp/libthread.so. (When I say old vs. new, I'm talking about Solaris 8; in Solaris 9, they're the same file anyway)

I suggest you try setting the following environment variables and restart your Java application (the second one is needed if your application is 64-bit; if not, setting it is harmless): export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/lwp
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH_64=/usr/lib/lwp/64

If they already have values, just prepend the new values.

Good articles about the two thread models are http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/threads/threads.html http://wwws.sun.com/software/whitepapers/solaris9/multithread.pdf
(Figure 2-1 gives a good description of what those two models are.)

Please let us know if you find anything. If you find Bobby's suggestion
(below) works, also let us know. Thanks.

Yong Huang
yong321ATyahoo.com Received on Mon Jan 17 2005 - 10:57:49 CST