Scripting language for DBAs - Perl or Python?

From: <lambu999_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 16 Jan 2005 18:46:26 -0800

Hi all,

I want to learn a scripting language to be used for Oracle DB Admin. I see that Perl seems to be the most popular one right now (with lots of extra modules available from 3rd parties).

However a friend of mine is of the opinion that Perl codes are cryptic to read /maintain and suggested to go with Python if I am starting afresh. How good is Python/Oracle combo? Is it being widely used now or will it become big enough to replace Perl and if so in what time frame (5 yrs/10 yrs). Can we get the things we want from Python for an Oracle DBA?

And if Python is the answer will O'reilly books be enough to start off?

Thanks. Received on Sun Jan 16 2005 - 20:46:26 CST