Re: Logging in "AS SYSDBA" vs. without it ("NORMAL")

From: ohaya <ohaya_at_cox.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 04:20:41 -0500

Michel Cadot wrote:

> "ohaya" <ohaya_at_cox.net> a écrit dans le message de news:41E881D0.12873BA7_at_cox.net...
> | Hi,
> |
> | Suppose that I have created a user ("foo") in the database instance
> | "foodb" using sqlplus. I have also granted the user "foo" several
> | roles, including "CONNECT", "DBA", and "RESOURCE". The user password
> | was assigned in the "CREATE USER", as "foopwd".
> |
> | When I connect as user "foo", I can enter either "foopwd" or "foopwd as
> | sysdba" as the password.
> |
> | I was wondering if someone could tell me, in general, exactly what the
> | difference is between using the different password forms?
> |
> | For example, if I login using the password "foopwd as sysdba", do I get
> | more of the roles that were granted to the user vs. if I login using the
> | password "foopwd"?
> |
> | How exactly does this work?
> |
> | Thanks,
> | Jim
>
> 2 sections to read:
>
> User Authentication:
> http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96524/c23acces.htm#CNCPT323
>
> Database Administrator Authentication:
> http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96521/dba.htm#1064
>
> Regards
> Michel Cadot

Michel,

Thanks for the pointers.

I'm still unclear about:

  1. I did a "select * from v$pwfile_users;". According to one of those pages, this is suppose to show users with the SYSDBA privilege, and only the "SYS" user was displayed. I thought that only users with the SYSDBA privilege could login with "AS SYSDBA", but I can login as my test user "foo" with "AS SYSDBA". According toe the "select * from v$pwfile_users;", shouldn't only "SYS" be able to login with "AS SYSDBA"?
  2. I read through those pages, but am still not 100% clear about what is different when I login with "AS SYSDBA" and without "AS SYSDBA". Is the only difference that when I login with "AS SYSDBA" that I then have access to the "SYS" tables?

Thanks,
Jim Received on Sat Jan 15 2005 - 03:20:41 CST