Re: Logging in "AS SYSDBA" vs. without it ("NORMAL")

From: Michel Cadot <micadot{at}altern{dot}org>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 14:14:22 +0100

"ohaya" <ohaya_at_cox.net> a écrit dans le message de news:41E8E069.B7BAE0B3_at_cox.net...

| Michel Cadot wrote:
| >
| > "ohaya" <ohaya_at_cox.net> a écrit dans le message de news:41E881D0.12873BA7_at_cox.net...
| > | Hi,
| > |
| > | Suppose that I have created a user ("foo") in the database instance
| > | "foodb" using sqlplus. I have also granted the user "foo" several
| > | roles, including "CONNECT", "DBA", and "RESOURCE". The user password
| > | was assigned in the "CREATE USER", as "foopwd".
| > |
| > | When I connect as user "foo", I can enter either "foopwd" or "foopwd as
| > | sysdba" as the password.
| > |
| > | I was wondering if someone could tell me, in general, exactly what the
| > | difference is between using the different password forms?
| > |
| > | For example, if I login using the password "foopwd as sysdba", do I get
| > | more of the roles that were granted to the user vs. if I login using the
| > | password "foopwd"?
| > |
| > | How exactly does this work?
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | Jim
| >
| > 2 sections to read:
| >
| > User Authentication:
| > http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96524/c23acces.htm#CNCPT323
| >
| > Database Administrator Authentication:
| > http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96521/dba.htm#1064
| >
| > Regards
| > Michel Cadot
|

| Michel,
|
| Thanks for the pointers.
|
| I'm still unclear about:
|
| 1) I did a "select * from v$pwfile_users;". According to one of those
| pages, this is suppose to show users with the SYSDBA privilege, and only
| the "SYS" user was displayed. I thought that only users with the SYSDBA
| privilege could login with "AS SYSDBA", but I can login as my test user
| "foo" with "AS SYSDBA". According toe the "select * from
| v$pwfile_users;", shouldn't only "SYS" be able to login with "AS
| SYSDBA"?
|
| 2) I read through those pages, but am still not 100% clear about what is
| different when I login with "AS SYSDBA" and without "AS SYSDBA". Is the
| only difference that when I login with "AS SYSDBA" that I then have
| access to the "SYS" tables?
|
| Thanks,
| Jim

Have a closer look at the part "Using Operating System (OS) Authentication": http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96521/dba.htm#13465

Particulary the paragraph "OSDBA and OSOPER". If you are membre of OS sysdba group you can connect as sysdba with any password.

Regards
Michel Received on Sat Jan 15 2005 - 07:14:22 CST