Re: RBO to CBO

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 19:37:19 -0800

Mark Bole wrote:

> I was going to wait for the OP, but what I think was meant by "gig" is
> not gigabyte, but rather temporary work assignment, as in, after the
> one-day-per-database upgrade, then you need to hire a contractor for
> another month (per database) to come in and clean up the mess.

With reference to "gig" ... and we complain that Oracle overuses and/or misuses words to the point that they lack clarify ... look at us as you may well be right now that I consider that interpretation.

> My experience has been a bit of both sides of this sub-issue of the
> original thread: major version upgrades every 18-24 months (not just
> patches) are worth it, and yes they do cost $10K or more when you factor
> in all the upfront testing and afore-mentioned post-upgrade clean up
> that happens. Rarely can you just upgrade Oracle without cascading
> effects in other areas such as JDBC, Perl DBD, 3rd-party report
> generation servers, client bulk data interfaces, etc.
>
> -Mark Bole

I think your dollar figure, $10K, is a pretty reasonable number. When contrasted with what the company I referred to earlier paid me to do their Sarbanes-Oxley compliance they could have taken every one of their 8i databases to 9i or 10g. And instead of money out the door with little to show for it in return (they are legal but gain no other benefit). They could have a fully supported database with faster performance.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington