Re: RBO to CBO

From: Jack <Jack_at_none.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 03:21:35 +0200

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> kirjoitti viestissä:41dc28f4$1_2_at_127.0.0.1...
> Jack wrote:
>
>> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message

>>>In real life you are correct. But does it take me more time to upgrade a
>>>Solaris database today, one on HP/UX tomorrow, on AIX on Thursday, and
>>>one on Windows on Friday? I sure hope not. Nope: 4 databases ... 4 days.
>>>And if you have an environment such as this ... even more reason to keep
>>>current with versions so that you are running on a supported platform.
>>>--
>>>Daniel A. Morgan
>>>University of Washington
>>>damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>>>(replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)
>>

>> Jep, it is so sipmle.
>> And after that someboby must do: a one-month gig/database
>>
>> In this case it takes 4 months.
>
> The size of a database is close to irrelevant to applying a patch or
> upgrade to a more recent version. To what are you making reference?
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)

Do you remember this:

Earlier this year I did a one-month gig with a local telecom. Moved  them from 8i RULE to 10g CBO. You'd likely be amazed how much of  their SQL was hinted ... heavily hinted: And the CBO didn't like any  of it.
 --
Daniel A. Morgan
 University of Washington