Re: RBO to CBO

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 23:31:34 GMT

DA Morgan wrote:

> Jack wrote:
>

>> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>>
>>> Jack wrote:

[...]
>> Jep, it is so sipmle.
>> And after that someboby must do: a one-month gig/database
>>
>> In this case it takes 4 months.

> The size of a database is close to irrelevant to applying a patch or
> upgrade to a more recent version. To what are you making reference?

I was going to wait for the OP, but what I think was meant by "gig" is not gigabyte, but rather temporary work assignment, as in, after the one-day-per-database upgrade, then you need to hire a contractor for another month (per database) to come in and clean up the mess.

My experience has been a bit of both sides of this sub-issue of the original thread: major version upgrades every 18-24 months (not just patches) are worth it, and yes they do cost $10K or more when you factor in all the upfront testing and afore-mentioned post-upgrade clean up that happens. Rarely can you just upgrade Oracle without cascading effects in other areas such as JDBC, Perl DBD, 3rd-party report generation servers, client bulk data interfaces, etc.

-Mark Bole Received on Wed Jan 05 2005 - 17:31:34 CST