Re: Advice on oracle 7 migration

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:08:24 -0800

Ujang M Zainudin wrote:

> Dear all,
>

> I have been maintaining oracle 9i for about a year. In that one year
> I have had to perform migration of oracle 8.0.5 to 9i and it was just
> the database. No forms or reports involved. I had really a tough time
> doing it and a lots of stuff didn't get transfered over. I had a tough
> time answering to the management. But that was over and done with.
>
> Now I have an even bigger migration task in my hand.
>
> - To upgrade Oracle SQLRPT 1.0, Oracle Forms 3.0, Oracle RDBMS 7.3.4
> to the latest version of Oracle with web enabled deployment (Oracle
> 10G).
> - To convert more then 1000 app. programs to the latest version of
> Oracle with web enabled deployment.
>
> Current Application:
> - SQLFORMS3.0 - 300 programs consisting 29,000 triggers mostly
> SQLFORMS2.3 macro.
> - SQLRPT1.0 - 1100 programs consisting 390,000 lines of codes.
> - FORMS 4.5 - 220 programs.
>
> As i understand it, there is no direct way to convert oracle 7 to 10.
> I would have to do it in stages, 7 to 8 first and then to 10. Is this
> really the case?
> And regarding the application, I have zero experience and haven't got
> a clue of how to go about it.
>
> Dear all... I am willing to listen/read any advise at all. Maybe there
> are
> tools out there that can help with this. If you know any please let me
> know.
>
> Regards,
> -Ujang

Rewrite your resume because it just won't work.

Best thing possible would be to rewrite from scratch. Forms is best approached as an object tool building properties and inheriting them. This is not something you are going to do any other way than starting at the beginning.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington