Re: Oracle base

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 20:45:24 -0000

"Ed Stevens" <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message news:ratis05vagu52msmo8h95mlkad08stmcuv_at_4ax.com...
> Niall - Thanks for the link. At least that explains the structure,
> but as you say, it's not convincing. To use their own example of:
>
> <begin quote>
> You can install the same product more than once in the same Oracle
> base directory, for example:
>
> /u01/app/oracle/product/10.1.0/db_1]
> /u01/app/oracle/product/10.1.0/db_2]
> <end quote>
>
> why would one want to create two installations of the same release
> level of binaries -- unless one is from the school that creates a
> separate oracle account, installation, and environment for each
> database. And I've not yet been convinced of the advantage of that,
> either (and I have inherited a set of servers 8.1.7 servers built that
> way).
>
> Or their other example:
>
> /u01/app/oracle/product/10.1.0/db_1]
> /u01/app/oracle/product/10.1.0/client_1]
>
> I can't say about 10g, but all other previous releases, if I installed
> the db software, the client software went with it. So why create a
> separate directory for client software? Perhaps one wants a
> client-only install at a different release level from their db
> install. Perhaps, but I'm still not convinced.

In 10g a number of genuinely client tools (for example the workflow design tool - can't recall its name now) that used to come as part of the standard CD set are *only* available on the client CD. I think it does possibly make sense to do this, and of course it might make security somewhat easier. What it does do is make the contortions that were gone through to get the 'installs from one CD' claim to be valid. Oracle 10g database does indeed install from one CD, but you'll probably want the companion CD for the database features on that (and for HTMLDB and the web server) and the client CD for some of the admin tools.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA