Re: Oracle base

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 07:45:41 -0600

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:26:25 -0000, "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com> wrote:

>"Ed Stevens" <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message
>>
>> But that begs the question (and I think this is what David was getting
>> at) of why create a db-specific directory, regardless of what you name
>> it, within ORACLE_HOME in the first place?
>> Thanks.
>
>I'll agree with ana's speculation about the numbers, and add the following
>observation.
>
>If you install further Oracle 10g products - namely the client and the
>companion CD you get to install them into different homes. By default. IIRC
>the default name for the client is OraClient1. So the revised layout becomes
>
>$ORACLE_BASE\product\<version>\install_type.
>
>it seems to me that the arbitrary 1 in db_1 etc is spurious, but that there
>might be some merit in having different subdirectories for different product
>sets.
>
>The stated rational is of course in the documentation set
>(http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/html/B10811_01/app_ofa.htm#sthref1891)
>but it isn't entirely convincing to me.

Niall - Thanks for the link. At least that explains the structure, but as you say, it's not convincing. To use their own example of:

<begin quote>
You can install the same product more than once in the same Oracle base directory, for example:

/u01/app/oracle/product/10.1.0/db_1]
/u01/app/oracle/product/10.1.0/db_2]
<end quote>

why would one want to create two installations of the same release level of binaries -- unless one is from the school that creates a separate oracle account, installation, and environment for each database. And I've not yet been convinced of the advantage of that, either (and I have inherited a set of servers 8.1.7 servers built that way).

Or their other example:

/u01/app/oracle/product/10.1.0/db_1]
/u01/app/oracle/product/10.1.0/client_1]

I can't say about 10g, but all other previous releases, if I installed the db software, the client software went with it. So why create a separate directory for client software? Perhaps one wants a client-only install at a different release level from their db install. Perhaps, but I'm still not convinced.

Thanks.

Cohn's Law: The more time you spend in reporting on what you are doing, the less time you have to do anything. Stability is achieved when you spend all your time doing nothing but reporting on the nothing you are doing. Received on Wed Dec 22 2004 - 07:45:41 CST