Re: imp: limit on number of tables?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 22 Dec 2004 11:07:44 -0800

Chuck wrote:
> Joel Garry wrote:
> > If it is chewing through an exp file, you should see something
> > happening (like allocating extents). Perhaps it is expecting you
> > enter something (maybe not liking the userid), but you don't see
the
> > prompt because of the redir.
> >
> > Try both Walt's suggestions and cutting the tables param down to a
few
> > small tables.
> >
> > jg
> > --
> > @home.com is bogus.
> > "We thought the trial was already over." - Potential juror for
Robert
> > Blake trial.
> >

> Turns out I was just being too impatient. It was scanning the export
> file looking for the first table. Import completed successfully - all

> 598 tables.

You can somewhat test the minimum of how long it should take by grepping the dump file on the table name (capitalized). exp tends to do tables alphabetically, so grep for the first one alphabetically in the table list. Check the exp log if you have multiple schemata to see which would be first.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://news.com.com/Torvalds+A+Solaris+skeptic/2008-1082_3-5498799.html