Re: How to move init.ora or SPFILE

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 01:40:41 +1100

JohannesBavendiek_at_gmx.de wrote:
> Howard J. Rogers wrote on Dec 22, 5:42 am:
>

>>[SNIP] But the theory goes that over-writing a one-line file is not
>>exactly a drama: it's easy enough to do what you have to do to the

> new
>
>>init.ora, re-create the spfile from it, and then strip the contents

> of
>
>>the init.ora back to the original one-line spfile=blah.

> Yes. But there is a bit to keep in mind.
> My intention was, to show the potential point of failure:
>
> Here my example.
> - Situation:
> I know that the instance starts with Spfile on non-default destination
> and the pfile links to that Spfile.
> - Possible Failure:
> Now I change the Spfile (maybe in a restore or so)
> and I wonder why the parameters to not work.
>

> Howard J. Rogers wrote on Dec 22, 5:42 am:
>
>>[SNIP] I'm not really sure that explains anything! You can backup the

> spfile
>
>>directly. Why would you want to export the spfile to a pfile just to
>>back it up... particularly when there is already an effective copy of

>>what such a pfile would contain in the alert log -every time you

> start
>
>>the instance. So, back up the spfile and the alert log, and the

> problem
>
>>is solved, it seems to me.

> Yes I can backup the spile directly, and so do I. Of course I do. :-)
> But, I preferre to have a readable pfile in my backup-set.
> Maybe I have to restore the whole set to a new machine (with lower main
> memory).
> In that case my Instance could not run, because the SGA is defined to
> large.
> Then I use the (edited) pfile to start the instance.
> Regards
> Johannes B.

Firstly, the spfile is "readable". Just open it in vi or notepad. Sure, it's binary, but a quick cut-and-paste works just fine. I've re-created init.oras that way many, many times.

Second, the alert log is already the backup of the pfile, as I mentioned before. That's "readable", too.

Third, there are mole hills, and then there are mountains.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Dec 22 2004 - 08:40:41 CST