Re: Help with hosting multiple versions of the same schema (1 per client)

From: Jack Addington <jaddington_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:56:16 GMT

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:41c8ce35$1_4_at_127.0.0.1...
> Jack Addington wrote:
>
>> Sorry I hit send by mistake...
>>
>> My big reasonning ofr not doing the FGAC are:
>>
>> 1) No personal experience with it before (weak, I cringe to add it, but I
>> have some definate time issues)
>
> Not good enough. Go to http://www.psoug.org.
> click on Morgan's Library
> click on DBMS_RLS
> build and run the demo.
>
> The Puget Sound Oracle Users Group teaches FGAC classes a couple times a
> year too.

I agree

>> 2) My clients are small to mid-range companies that have different
>> hosting needs (me host, they host, 3rd party host) so I really want a
>> simple single solution that will work simply anywhere that has an oracle
>> server
>
> I understand. Now think about how you are going to patch, upgrade, and
> code this thing you are considering. Remember ... you are the parent and
> will have to personally change each and every dirty diaper.

Good point

>> 3) I believe you need the enterprise version of Oracle? I run on the
>> small business solution (Standard One I think it was called)
>
> Don't know ... and suggest you ask a sales rep.

Will do

>> 4) Most clients (at least initially) are direct local competitors and I'm
>> not sure I could sell the shared database concept...
>
> Sell them on it? Why even discuss it with them? Surely they are not
> asking you sign-off on your database design. Just give them the
> appropriate guarantees: In writing ... and back it up with an E&O policy.

Another good point

>> I posted another solution in this thread. What is your take on that?
>
> Didn't see it.

It was in a reply to your first post...

  1. Logging into application as a user but logging into Oracle as the schema owner.
  2. On login I add a row to temporary global table with the user id.
  3. Also do a quick lookup in the allowed users roles and set other flags

Then I point all triggers or security functions that use the USER environement variable to the temp table?