Re: How to move init.ora or SPFILE

From: <JohannesBavendiek_at_gmx.de>
Date: 22 Dec 2004 06:24:46 -0800

Howard J. Rogers wrote on Dec 22, 5:42 am:
> [SNIP] But the theory goes that over-writing a one-line file is not
> exactly a drama: it's easy enough to do what you have to do to the
new
> init.ora, re-create the spfile from it, and then strip the contents
of
> the init.ora back to the original one-line spfile=blah.

Yes. But there is a bit to keep in mind. My intention was, to show the potential point of failure:

Here my example.
- Situation:
I know that the instance starts with Spfile on non-default destination and the pfile links to that Spfile.
- Possible Failure:
Now I change the Spfile (maybe in a restore or so) and I wonder why the parameters to not work.

Howard J. Rogers wrote on Dec 22, 5:42 am:
> [SNIP] I'm not really sure that explains anything! You can backup the
spfile
> directly. Why would you want to export the spfile to a pfile just to
> back it up... particularly when there is already an effective copy of

> what such a pfile would contain in the alert log -every time you
start
> the instance. So, back up the spfile and the alert log, and the
problem
> is solved, it seems to me.

Yes I can backup the spile directly, and so do I. Of course I do. :-) But, I preferre to have a readable pfile in my backup-set. Maybe I have to restore the whole set to a new machine (with lower main memory).
In that case my Instance could not run, because the SGA is defined to large.
Then I use the (edited) pfile to start the instance. Regards
Johannes B. Received on Wed Dec 22 2004 - 08:24:46 CST