Re: Will oracle support WhiteBox Linux or better, centos ?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 21 Dec 2004 14:58:49 -0800

>But it seems like oracle will not
>support those OS copie. I know
>there is a proliferation of linux
>distributions, but centos for
>exemple is pretty close

>to red hat, the lead time after red
>hat releases a patch is about 24
>HR !

I speculate it is simply a matter of being able to exactly point out where any arbitrary problem is coming from. If you could tell Oracle how to do that, I bet they would support any dist you want.

What make the problem non-trivial is that Oracle itself is not open, but is layered on various OS's. In order for them to fix anything, they have to be able to replicate it in-house, they cannot depend on random geniuses out in the world jumping on the latest fad. Such replication is hard enough with a limited platform set, it gets exponentially harder beyond that.

Personally, I think they should dedicate a small support team to it, a halo group if you will. But I couldn't imagine how to explain that to their partners.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"HELL FREEZES OVER!" - headline in Union-Tribune sports section, oddly