Will oracle support WhiteBox Linux or better, centos ?

From: G Dahler <gordon.dahler_at_spamex.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 13:35:40 -0500

WhiteBox linux or better, centos, are actually copies of ReHat L:inux enterprise, but without the logos. Red Hat support sucks anyway (try doing any kind of search in what they call their "knowledge base" and that will suffice to convince you, it is even worst that microsoft (Jeez, and I taught it was impossible)) and instead of paying for inexistent support, I would rather put the money on better hardware (RAID, Memory, etc.)

But it seems like oracle will not support those OS copie. I know there is a proliferation of linux distributions, but centos for exemple is pretty close to red hat, the lead time after red hat releases a patch is about 24 HR !

I hope oracle is going to support those OS some time. Well, if I had many servers to manage, I would have only ONE red hat server on which to reproduce the occasional bug and ba able to get support from oracle. That would be cheaper. Not a lot of money saved, but at least no money WASTED.

BTW, if you play around with oracle and Linux and don't know Centos, have a look at it. IMHO, it's better than whitebox linux. Received on Tue Dec 21 2004 - 12:35:40 CST