Re: Disaster Recover Scenario - a few questions

From: Dave <david.best_at_gmail.com>
Date: 14 Dec 2004 15:26:24 -0800

Hey Frank.. Thanks for the response. I'll try and clarify.

In typical Dilbert style, management acquired the services of a 3rd party company in order to help us devise a DRP. As part of the agreement, we'll get the equivalent or better hardware. I don't think we'll be guaranteed any specific configuration other than it has to support our OS level (2.6 and 2.8) but the hardware could change each time we visit.

There are 3 scheduled tests to aid us. The first one was last weekend and that was to time how long it would take to restore all files from tape. The next phase is to recover all the applications from offsite tapes and make them available. The 3rd test next year will be to recover the environment and make it available for users to test.

So unfortunately my hands are tied to some degree. Besides the possiblity of Oracle hitting an OS bug do you forsee any other issues? Currently in our Oracle Apps 11i environment we clone/restore copies (via TAR) to test/dev servers all the time. While patch levels are roughly the same, hardware definately isn't. We haven't encountered any issues, so i'm assuming we won't hit any issues when we try our DRP test.

I say 95% confident because we don't have a formal DRP so I have no idea what issues were going to hit when we try a recovery next month. What i'd like to rule out is having to install Oracle from scratch. tnx.

Tnx. Received on Tue Dec 14 2004 - 17:26:24 CST