Re: Disaster Recover Scenario - a few questions

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:09:06 +0100

Dave wrote:
> Hey Frank.. Thanks for the response. I'll try and clarify.
>
> In typical Dilbert style, management acquired the services of a 3rd
> party company in order to help us devise a DRP. As part of the
> agreement, we'll get the equivalent or better hardware. I don't
> think we'll be guaranteed any specific configuration other than it has
> to support our OS level (2.6 and 2.8) but the hardware could change
> each time we visit.
>
> There are 3 scheduled tests to aid us. The first one was last weekend
> and that was to time how long it would take to restore all files from
> tape. The next phase is to recover all the applications from offsite
> tapes and make them available. The 3rd test next year will be to
> recover the environment and make it available for users to test.
>
> So unfortunately my hands are tied to some degree. Besides the
> possiblity of Oracle hitting an OS bug do you forsee any other issues?
> Currently in our Oracle Apps 11i environment we clone/restore copies
> (via TAR) to test/dev servers all the time. While patch levels are
> roughly the same, hardware definately isn't. We haven't encountered
> any issues, so i'm assuming we won't hit any issues when we try our DRP
> test.
>
> I say 95% confident because we don't have a formal DRP so I have no
> idea what issues were going to hit when we try a recovery next month.
> What i'd like to rule out is having to install Oracle from scratch.
> tnx.
>

> Tnx.

Well - if your 3rd test is successfully, I'd say you would be 100% confident the DRP works. :)

The problem with all this is - it's disaster time! Management is screaming, phones are ringing constantly, your manager wants to know when all is online again, your aide-de-camp was rushed to the hospital, etc, etc...

Before going external, you already had a go with recovery (because that would be the fastest option), but -after x hours- you have to face the fact that going external would be the fastest (if not: the only!) option.
The pressure is on! And it's all up to you!

Getting the picture? In such a situation, you want all that's coming towards you to be smooth.
That is: it's documented, and it's tested.

And you (or whom ever is to perform the restauration) *know* it is going to work, because you've been there, and done that.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel