Re: questions about RMAN

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:25:06 +0100

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:12:48 GMT, netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net (NetComrade) wrote:

>Can 9i version of RMAN backup 8i databases? (most confident about
>this, answer seems to be yes. any caveats, can I use 9i features w/ 9i
>databases, and limit RMAN to 8i features?)

a compatibility matrix is in the docs.

>Can I have a single RMAN installation and backup all databases through
>it? (answer seems to be Yes on this one, only I don't

Yes

>Can RMAN backup db's from different platform? (e.g. can rman run on
>linux, and backup solaris db)?

You can't backup a database on platform a and restore it on platform b. The format of the backup willl always be native to the source O/S.

Disk backups always store locally on the source system!

>Basically, want to buy a decent linux box, a fairly cheap SATA array
>and store all backups to it through Sql*Net and gigabit ethernet.
>Database sizes are mostly under 100G. Some future databases needing
>rman backup might be running on Linux.

If SATA means a disk array it is not going to work.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA