questions about RMAN

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:12:48 GMT

Can 9i version of RMAN backup 8i databases? (most confident about this, answer seems to be yes. any caveats, can I use 9i features w/ 9i databases, and limit RMAN to 8i features?)

Can I have a single RMAN installation and backup all databases through it? (answer seems to be Yes on this one, only I don't

Can RMAN backup db's from different platform? (e.g. can rman run on linux, and backup solaris db)?

Basically, want to buy a decent linux box, a fairly cheap SATA array and store all backups to it through Sql*Net and gigabit ethernet. Database sizes are mostly under 100G. Some future databases needing rman backup might be running on Linux.

Thanks.
We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 2.7 boxes remove NSPAM to email Received on Tue Dec 14 2004 - 15:12:48 CST