Re: How do I set ORACLE_SID in windows NT environment

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:37:30 +1100

Spidey wrote:
> Howard J. Rogers suggested that:
>

>> hpuxrac wrote:
>>
>>> snip

>>> No.

>>> On UNIX when you create a new database instance you issue
>>>
>>> set ORACLE_SID=xyx;export xyz
>>> set ORACLE_HOME=.....; export ORACLE_HOME
>>>
>>> *** Looks peachy to me except possible typo of export xyz
>>> *** versus export ORACLE_SID
>>

>> It doesn't look peachy to me:
>>
>> [howardjr_at_sapphire ~]$ set ORACLE_SID=xyz; export ORACLE_SID
>> [howardjr_at_sapphire ~]$ echo $ORACLE_SID
>>
>> As opposed, that is, to:
>>
>> [howardjr_at_sapphire ~]$ ORACLE_SID=xyz; export ORACLE_SID
>> [howardjr_at_sapphire ~]$ echo $ORACLE_SID
>> xyz
>>
>> Notice the null result in the first case, and the correct result in
>> the second.
>>
>> Now, that could just be my shell. And I won't say the 'set' command is
>> *never* right, because I don't know enough about shells and Unix
>> generally to make such a comment. But that's the point: I don't know
>> enough, so I won't say. As opposed, incidentally, to the original
>> poster who said "this is how it is done on Unix".

> The set command is used in UNIX's C shell (csh):

That's why I said "that could just be my shell". (PS. I do know a bit about the C shell, though I don't tend to use it. I was trying to be polite about it).

> http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/UnixAndC/Unix/CShellII.html
>
> Also, according to your first response post you replied:
>
> [snip]
> > > On UNIX when you create a new database instance you issue
> > >
> > > set ORACLE_SID=xyx;export xyz
> > > set ORACLE_HOME=.....; export ORACLE_HOME
> >

> > News to me. On Solaris and Linux, I've always just done
> >
> > ORACLE_SID=xxx
> > export ORACLE_SID
> > [end snip]
>
> Sure does sound to me that you WOULD say the 'set' command is *never*
> right.

Excuse me? Since when did "news to me" and "I've always just done", both in the context of a rebuttal of a bland assertion that on "Unix we do 'set...'", mean the same thing as "'set' is never right"?

So, sure it sounds like that to you. *Anything* I wrote would sound bad to you if you're deaf enough (or can't understand plain English).

> Peachy now Howard?

Certainly am.

HJR Received on Mon Dec 13 2004 - 15:37:30 CST