Re: How do I set ORACLE_SID in windows NT environment

From: <thomas.kyte_at_oracle.com>
Date: 13 Dec 2004 13:10:11 -0800

I ask frequently "why are you asking this" -- you might not see it on asktom because I ask behind the scenes, before the question is visible by others.

It is extremely important to ask "why" -- I have a best practices presentation where i strongly *encourage* people to ask "why"

q) "How do I create a temporary table in a stored procedure" a from me) "why"

The reason for "why" -- they are trying to port a sql server app to oracle and trying to mimick sql server in Oracle (that is what I believe to be true). So, I ask "why would you want to do something that is a really bad idea in Oracle" -- to get to the question.

I think that asking "why" is the most important question.

It would be a disservice just to answer questions -- I frequently tell people "i can tell you the answer, but I'm not going to because I believe it'll do more harm than good right now. But, if you share with me your goal -- what you are trying to do, I'll tell you how to do it in Oracle" Received on Mon Dec 13 2004 - 15:10:11 CST