Re: Manual database startup on WinXP

From: Ralf Zwanziger <goldenXsurfer_at_gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 07:20:08 +0100

Gerry Sinkiewicz wrote:
> The thing to be careful of though is that for net start everything works
> fine, but I have
> found that I needed to shutdown the instance first via "shutdown immediate"
> before using net stop to stop the service.

I can't agree with that... netstat works fine for "daily use", that means: starting up normal with the standard pfile or spfile. By the way: what does a stop of the oracle service mean in "oracle language"? Is it a "shutdown immediate"? I just opened an sqlplus session, then stopped the oracle service. In sqlplus, I got the error ORA-12152: Unable to send break message. In another experiment I opened a second sqlplus and connected as "sys as sysdba" and did a shutdown immediate. Then I tried to do something in the other session. While shutdown in progress, I got ORA-01089 and after shutdown was completed, I got ORA-03114. Both errors are correct. So what does a net stop OracleService do?

Bye,
Ralf

--
to contact me by email, please remove the "X" from the first part of my
mail address.