Re: Share data between Oracle RDBM and Oracle Internet Directory (LDAP)

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 04:48:06 GMT

Zixiong WANG wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to store data in tables then query these data both by SQL
> and by LDAP (via Oracle Internet Directory) ?
>
> Oracle Internet Directory (OID) uses Oracle RDBM as data backend, but
> how directory entries are stored as tables ?
>
> Are these tables OID specific and can't be modified or extended ?
>
> Or in the opposite direction : if I'v conventional raltional tables, can
> I query them through OID using LDAP ? and how ?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> zxwang_at_sysium.com

OID creates its own schemas and you don't want to mess with them directly, only through the OID interface and various patches.

I have not worked with this in the context Oracle Application Server, but rather an ordinary database. In the latter case, you typically have two tasks:

  1. initial population of OID (LDAP) from your local application data.
  2. keeping things in sync.

Item (1) can be accomplished several ways, including standard LDAP tools   (provided by Oracle or your local operating system) for loading flat file data into your directory.

Item (2) can be accomplished via a trigger such as the sample one provided by Oracle with your installation. Look for it ldap/demo/plsql directory.

-Mark Bole Received on Thu Dec 02 2004 - 22:48:06 CST