Re: High Cpu Usage After 9i Migration

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 11:45:36 +1100

Joel Garry wrote:
> ybalasub_at_gmail.com (Yegna Balasubramanian) wrote in message news:<21a9c364.0411231223.72e1e981_at_posting.google.com>...
>

>>All,
>>
>>   I have upgraded our production Oracle databse from 8.1.7.4 to
>>9.2.0.5 recentrly, the CPU usage is 35% normally when we run the DB in
>>8174 but after the migration CPU usage is 70%, sqls are doing lots of
>>buffer gets now than it used to before, we are working on tuning those
>>queries,have anybody experienced this before? inputs are welcome? My
>>DB is running on HP-UX 11.11 with 8CPUs and 16G memory.
>>
>>Regards
>>Yegna

> Did you change from 32 to 64 bits or blocksize? It is possible that
> you have made your SGA larger and the cpu is simply running around in
> there where before you did I/O.

It sounds a bit silly, and I know several people who would snort "Of course my SGA isn't larger than it used to be"... only then to discover that they, rather like the world's biggest Oracle author, can't size an SGA properly in 9i because they still think in 8i terms.

Specifically,

DB_BLOCK_SIZE=8192
DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS=20000
BUFFER_POOL_KEEP=(buffers=4000...)
BUFFER_POOL_RECYCLE=(buffers=8000...)

...all mean, in 8i, that your buffer cache is 160MB.

Translated directly into 9i:

DB_BLOCK_SIZE=8192
DB_CACHE_SIZE=160M
DB_KEEP_CACHE_SIZE=32M
DB_RECYCLE_CACHE_SIZE=64M

...all mean, in 9i, that your buffer cache is 256MB.

And never mind the non-standard block size caches on top of that.

So, Joel mentions a specific issue which sounds dismissable, but isn't, and could definitely affect your system accordingly.

Oh: and calculate system statistics if you haven't done so already.

Regards
HJR