Re: Serious article on comparison between MS SQL Server 2005 Yukon and Oracle 10g

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 24 Nov 2004 10:48:07 -0800

ilaletin_at_usa.net (Igor Laletin) wrote in message news:<f9226414.0411232227.60c5a887_at_posting.google.com>...
> joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote in message news:<91884734.0411221639.2f9dfc59_at_posting.google.com>...
> > I don't mean to get the Russian Mob after me, but I
> > just don't trust sites that look like they have some sort of secret
> > about where they are located, then turn out to be, well:
> >
> > Registrant: SharpPower Shevchenko 2 Lesnoi, Sverdlovskaja 624201
> > Russian Federation
>
> Don't be ... silly. You and I use Google to post here. OP uses
> oraclemonster.com. Never heard about it before but looks like another
> interface for oracle groups where you can rate threads. Fine, matter
> of preference I guess.
>
> It's other person's _tool_for_posting_to_usenet_oracle_groups_ for
> God's sake.

In this case, it is being used to point to a document. So we have an anonymous poster from a suspicious site pointing at a document. What can we logically derive from that? Nothing. Or anything.

> What's there you don't trust? You suspect oraclemonster changes posted
> text, misspells jg's comments, formats your hard drive when you read
> its postings or what? Please share with us, we all could be in danger.

Well it could, but not my point.

> The site is registered to be located in Russia. So? What it has to do
> with Russian mob you seem to be afraid of so much? If you are paranoid
> about Russians you could benefit from professional help and it's not
> in this newsgroup. Try your local yellow pages.

Funnily enough, my wife is a professional therapist. I'm not particularly paranoid (certainly not paranoid enough in some of the mil sites I've worked), but there sure was an uproar when I pointed out a spammer was Latvian and that one of the biggest spammers (and perhaps, virus writers) is in Russia.

All missing the point, which is that I don't trust websites with no legitimate contact information on the site. The majority of them seem to be physically co-located to places that may not be trustworthy.

> Igor
>
> > jg
>
> P.S. I tried home.com you use in your email. It redirects to
> www.jp.home.com written in a language I can't understand. Please
> advice if I can trust it.

No, you can't. It is a joke/demonstration of how the lack of non-reputiability in the infrastructure of the net makes anything suspect. My real email is easy enough to find, not even judgeing from the spam.

In other words, I can deny everything. Therefore, using my real name is important. Strange and non-obvious consequence, eh?

I also have an Oracle website with no legitimate contact information on it(except a redirected email). Why? To disassociate myself from cdos flame wars (and it seemed like a cool idea at the time when the domain became available :). I don't think it is hypocritical at all, just as I make money pragmatically in a society built on screwing the proletariat. Or whatever. But having such a site does give me the ability to criticize (not that anyone needs such a site to criticize such sites), as well as understand how to do such a thing, and perhaps why someone more nefarious would do it.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
What's in your wallet?