Re: DDL

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 22 Nov 2004 11:49:19 -0800

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<41a05509$0$31870$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...

> I didn't seek to extract an apology. Though anyone who has assumed the
> OP can't speak "proper" English probably owes the OP one.

Going back and re-reading my post, I don't see any need for an apology, but if someone else does, here it is: I apologize.

I just posted it because I thought it was interesting and may have bearing on this question. I would be interested in knowing why it is considered condescending, I thought the article fair and non-judgemental, and I don't see how pointing at it could be so Politically Incorrect. Perhaps someone read or misread a previous post I made about unintelligible O support or the H1-B issues and added context I didn't intend? Here's some context I've stated before: I'm a liberal in the sense of US '60s politics. Kinda like the viewpoint of the original Star Trek series.

My take on the OP was that it _sounded_ right out of a course or book, perhaps corrupted in transit through the OP's brain. Small chance it could've been a troll, and if it was, it was a pretty good one. We should assume questions are legitimate, so it's reasonable to answer even trollish posts seriously.

I'd still like to know why DDL can't be contained in a transaction. I suspect it would have something to do with it being too complicated or slow to deal with recursive table locking and read consistency issues.  I don't see how to figure out the "why" with SQL.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.  "Just being a rock 'n' roll singer in the 1960s
was a political statement... In the '80s, it started occurring to me