Re: Experience with foreign keys across schemas?

From: Walt <walt_askier_at_YourShoesyahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:45:29 -0500

DA Morgan wrote:

>> Today, I was asked to setup a new schema with tables which will
>> contain foreign key references to tables in another schema.
>>
>> I don't like that. I am sure that's wrong, but am missing arguments...

> I fail to see what's wrong with it?

Some 4GL GUI tools don't play well with FK's across schemas. For instance, older versions of Power Builder. (not sure about newer versions as I haven't used it in a while) But that's a bug in the tool, not really a problem with the data design.

If the data in one schema is related to data in another schema in such a way that a FK relationship would be appropriate, I see a lot more issues with *not* having the FK defined.

--
//-Walt
//