Re: Installing Oracle 10g on Linux -- OUCH!!

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 07:16:35 +1100

"Ringo Langly" <rlangly_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:7d96e89e.0411040848.ac944d7_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I posted a note earlier about possibly using Oracle on Linux to learn
> Oracle -- but now that I review the installation instructions for
> Oracle on Linux, I'm starting to second-guess this option:
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/smiley_10gdb_install.html
>
> These instructions very quite a bit between the different 'supported'
> distros, none of which I have access to. I'd either be using SuSE 9.1
> Pro, Slackware 10, or the latest Fedora version (probably one of the
> first two though). Can Oracle 10g be installed on these distros, or
> must I use one of the corporate versions?
>
> I'm looking at using the downloaded version from Oracle's website to
> do this. I did find this website
> http://www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle10g.shtml which shows
> installing 10g on all varients of Red Hat.
>
> Just curious if this has been a show-stopper for others wishing to use
> Oracle on Linux? Mine is mainly for testing and learning, nothing
> production.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Ringo

Why don't you visit www.dizwell.com, and start reading the Virtual Oracle papers? That way, you will find out how to install onto a "corporate version" of Linux for zero cost.

And yes, everyone else will point out how you can install onto this or that distro... though I strongly suggest that there is neither need nor occasion ever to do so.

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Nov 04 2004 - 14:16:35 CST