Re: So what if 8i is outta support ?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 29 Oct 2004 14:23:07 -0700

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1099008107.375554_at_yasure>...

> Since Oracle does not charge for upgrades there is no financial
> advantage to Oracle pushing upgrades except that it lowers their
> cost of providing support.

WTF? Try downloading a patch without a support contract. Maybe Jaguar doesn't charge you for a warranty, but it is a substantial part of what you pay.

> And if you were working at the help desk ... can you think of a more
> career limiting position than being the guy that answers calls for
> support on version 7.1? Five years is enough in this business. Oracle
> is more generous than that.

I know people that answer calls for software stabilized much more than five years ago. Same people also work on the newest stuff. They're only unhappy if they are forced to _only_ work on the old stuff. If their careers are limited, it's because of family obligations and insurance limitations (ie, single parents or medical conditions), not by arbitrary version cutoffs. It can actually be fun to work on old stuff after not looking at it for a while, sometimes you realize certain things in the new have deteriorated.

I'd say that not only is Oracle not generous, but Oracle and all the other vendors are lacking the motivation to build products that can be counted on to last - and worse, in some cases claiming that they do. Jeez, what if planes fell out of the sky just by being repainted?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Oops, they do!  http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20041028/news_1n28boeing.html