Re: Using XML and a relational database

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_mail.ocis.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 23:46:55 -0700

"Alex Shirshov" <nomail_at_mail.ru> wrote:

>Hello, DA!
>You wrote on Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:10:47 -0700:

>[Sorry, skipped]
>
> DM> The data can be easily stored in relational form and the XML
> DM> reconstituted by either the database or by the app server. Benchmarks
> DM> I've seen support the proposition that reconstitution on the app server
> DM> gives the best overall performance.
>
>Don't be conning! Yes, xml docs with the regular form can be transformed to
>relational structure, but this is the only one case. The app need to be able
>to work with ustructured and semistructured xml documents and this is the

              ^^^^^^^^^^^     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     All data is structured, or it is just noise (and not data).

     "semi-structured" is like "half-pregnant".

>primary use case. If you said, that xml docs without regular structure also
>can be easily transformed to relational form, than i will dare to claim you
>are not working with RDBMS. It's not easy to alter table each time you
>partner adds another extensibility element to your wonderful, semirelational
>xml format.
>I emphasize that storing semistructured xml documents into DB is the primary
>use case. And we should discuss the problem not only with relation to
>performance, but also extensibility, maintainability, complexity, etc.

     You are right. It appears you realise that the XML is difficult to work with. You should look at those factors.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:

     I have preferences.