Re: spfile vs pfile in 9i

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 08:48:43 +0200

Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> Holger Baer wrote:
>

> I don't want to necessarily prolong discussion about a two-line text file,
> as you put it, but that wasn't the 'undocumented' thing I was talking
> about. The business about repeating parameters, and only having the last
> repeat take effect; or about listing parameters multiple times
> consecutively and having the multiple values concatenated; none of that is
> new, and has been around and well-documented since at least version 8.0.

Neither did I ;-)

> The undocumented feature I'm worried about is: if you have an init.ora that
> contains SPFILE=/somewhere AND a "shared_pool_size=80M", according to you
> that means the 80M setting for the shared pool will over-ride whatever the
> value is in the spfile.
>
> I can find no documentation on that behaviour. And it is, to my mind, in
> contradiction to the extensively-quoted documentation regarding what
> happens when a single parameters is set multiple times.

Because you seem to treat spfile= as a special case of a parameter in a pfile. To me it's just another parameter. And it seems like for one time Oracle agrees with my understanding ;-)

> If S_P_S is set once in the init.ora and once in the spfile, I would expect
> the spfile's setting to take precedence over the init.ora's, based on that
> documentation. Because, to my way of thinking, the init.ora is read as a
> whole, and only then is the spfile read and applied.

Now this isn't documented anywhere either.

> Or does it depend on the ordering of the SPFILE= and the S_P_S parameters in
> the init.ora? Because that is even worse, if so!

No it's not worse. It's exactly as I would want it to be because this way I'm in charge to take controll over what parameters I want to be set in which way.

> When I wake up properly, I'll play around with it and find out for myself, I
> guess.
>
> Regards
> HJR
Have a good night's sleep then ;-)

Cheers,
Holger Received on Thu Oct 28 2004 - 01:48:43 CDT