Re: Using XML and a relational database

From: HansF <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 06:45:43 GMT

Alex Shirshov wrote:

> I want to store XML docs in DB avoiding file system, source control
> system, etc. How can I work with documents as xml, but not as CLOBs
> without a bare support of xml technologies in DBMS?

Just curious whether you have looked at the XMLType and the XML DB capability intrinsic to Oracle?

/Hans

---
Below here is reference and links to Oracle info: Since this is cross posted to a number of non-Oracle groups, for reference to those who have not looked at the material, the relevant documentation links:

Oracle docco:

        http://docs.oracle.com

Oracle docco for Oracle9i Release 2:

        http://www.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92.docindex?remark=homepage

Oracle docco for 9iR2 XMLDB: (warning - link is split)

        http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/
                appdev.920/a96620/xdb01int.htm

General info portal to Oracle XML capabilities:
        http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/xml/index.html

(I've only referenced 9i Release 2 even though Oracle10g is out and has many relevant improvements. Oracle has had XML support since 8i in the late 90's, and many don't like looking at the latest version.)

I've also dropped defunct newsgroups from the distribution.

        comp.database,
        comp.database.oracle,
        comp.database.oracle.server,
        comp.databases

in general are not relevant or current newsgroups.

FInally, for those who don't have access to the docco because they have not registered with Oracle's TechNet, a snippet from the Oracle Concepts manual:

XMLType

This Oracle-supplied type can be used to store and query XML data in the database. XMLType has member functions you can use to access, extract, and query the XML data using XPath expressions. XPath is another standard developed by the W3C committee to traverse XML documents. Oracle XMLType functions support many W3C XPath expressions. Oracle also provides a set of SQL functions and PL/SQL packages to create XMLType values from existing relational or object-relational data.

XMLType is a system-defined type, so you can use it as an argument of a function or as the datatype of a table or view column. You can also create tables and views of XMLType. When you create an XMLType column in a table, you can choose to store the XML data in a CLOB column or object relationally. Received on Thu Oct 28 2004 - 01:45:43 CDT